User Reviews (13)

Ride Your Wave is a very traditional Anime with a sharp twist that will turn off alot of viewers who aren't used to the adult themes of it.

When I went into this I had a general idea as to what was going on. Masaaki Yuasa and Reiko Yoshida have a decent amount of works I'm used to. Unfortunately, heading into this I watched Lu over the Wall and didn't watch or catch most of the screenplay she's done are quite mature and depressing. Which is the best way to describe this movie.

I read somewhere that they 'spoil' alot of the parts in the trailers, but I managed to see none of that and assumed it was about a guy learning to surf while falling in love with an oddball. And I was right until the second act.

This movie is everything you'd think it is until the heroic main character dies in a fairly realistic fashion and the female lead takes it very realistically. She shuts herself off from reality, breaks down, and eventually begins taking comfort in a fantasy that is handled quiet well. For the sake of this review, it's that when she sings a song shared between her and her lost lover he appears in water. For the sake of the movie itself, no one can see him and it's treated as though she's having a genuine mental breakdown.

That is where this movie is quite strong, and where it loses alot of it's viewers. The entire second act of this movie is depressing. While plenty of Reiko Yoshida's works have dealt with serious topics on par with loss and the ability to move on past it, this is just depressing. All the montages and moments that the leads share together thanks to magic is lost when the reality is right there.

But to me this works because it's supposed to be depressing. You're supposed to be seeing someone unable to move on past such an impactful part of their life. They break down whenever they see anything that reminds them of that loss, and are unable to accept anything that would dare to threaten it. Even to the point that it becomes hurtful for you to hold onto.

Realizing that you need to let go of it becomes the third act, and the conclusion of the second act's entirety. For me it's where the depressing second act shines, when everyone realizes that despite the losses endured they will always have the love and strength of someone who is now gone. Also the conclusion of the film when it finally hits that he's gone, he's dead, and he isn't coming back thanks to a callback from earlier in the film coming full circle is genuinely enjoyable to watch.

I understand why alot of people tapped out and are complaing that this movie isn't enjoyable to watch, but I will defend that it's a perfect mixture of these two artist's doing their craft a staggering amount of justice.
  • The plot had some pacing and character development issues but I still bawled like a baby. The idea is fresh and rid of clichés. Overall a decent movie.
  • Thank god the script writer avoids all the common cliche from a Japanese anime. It's a sincere and touching story, worth the time.
    Hinako is a surfer, Minato is a firefighter. Both about 20 and they fall in love. Everything is ridiculously perfect, but one day Minato drowns while trying to save someone from the ocean. Hinako, understandably takes it pretty bad, but to her surprise, whenever she starts singing their favorite song, Minato's spirit appears in the closest body of water - be it a stream, the ocean, or a bottle of mineral water. The whole story is really about Hinako, Minato's friends and family, and how they slowly but finally learn to "let go". Of course, it's magical-realism, so in the end we get to witness some crazy action as well, where we surf down a skyscraper with our protagonists. Unfortunately, this is not the most original story, the characters are a little two dimensional, and the filmmaking could've been a little braver. It's fine though, the film looks really nice, colorful with constantly glowing orange hues and cool blues. The action looks fantastic as well and the environments feel very "lived in" and detailed. Seeing it on a big screen really adds to the experience. It is also paced well, has some pretty funny moments, as well as a couple of quite moving ones. Recommended if you manage to catch it screening somewhere, but not an essential viewing. There. Really not much else to say about it, but seeing the only other user review for this title is from someone who clearly has no idea what he's talking about, I wanted to add my two cents.
    It was such a sweet love story, but way too sad. It'd have been perfect if they lived together happily ever after. But life can be so unfair at times. Really heartbreaking.
  • This movie, without giving away any spoilers, was amazing. I loved the story. I've seen where people say it was predictable or just another love story. I have to both agree and disagree. Yes, there were aspects of "your standard love story" that made parts of this "predictable", but it was truly SO much more than that. This movie had me laughing, smiling, and crying by time it was over. The feels are definitely there. You can add in the fact that "Brand New Story" (the leading song) is sung by the main characters actual voice actors, the leading male voice actor being part of the band that wrote the song originally. This adds plenty of depth and connection that you wouldn't get if it was just a background song. With that last part being said, this movie may not work out as well being dubbed. I feel that the two characters singing the song really helps establish a connection that wouldn't be there other wise. It makes it specifically, "Their Song."

In the end, I find this movie to be phenomenal and remarkable on plenty of levels, and would be interested in watching it dubbed in my native tongue to see if the connection i mentioned earlier is still there.
  • When I first watched the film, I thought the pacing was way too quick for me to actually understand what was going on. Although I will say that the fire fighter scenes were pretty intense regardless if they were only training or had to attend buildings that were on fire due to fireworks.

I understood this films backdrop involving the feeling of losing someone through drowning and honestly the ending was a near hard hitter for me. However I would have liked if the couples experience together was more in depth because as I said yet again, it was rather rushed. It didn't give much in depth either with the other guy who had a crush on her or if he was going for someone else. Since I'm not gonna say spoilers to telling you who's who, it's best to watch the film.

Animation wise, it was pretty alright. Not amazeballs but it was easy on the eyes at least.

As much as the film did offer a bit of emotion, it's not the ultimate worse or disappointment I've ever seen. However room for improvement is what it definitely definitely needs in terms of story pace development.......
  • matrixpsnbu18 November 2020
    I watched this movie without watching a trailer or even reading what it was about and I loved it alot. It caught me off guard and became one of my new favorite anime movies. The animation style was unique and the story was really cute. The English dub was really solid matched the characters perfectly. Give it a watch!
    Personally, I don't usually watch romance anime unless the story is very intriguing, or it's helmed by one of my favorite directors; Masaaki Yuasa is, indeed, one of my favorite directors, who is well-known for working on the Shin-Chan franchise, Ping Pong, Tatami Galaxy, Mind Game, and some of the most celebrated anime titles of the last two decades. For those who are fans of the director's past work, you can probably skip this unless you're a completionist, or you were enticed by the prospect of animation from Yuasa's staff.

For those looking for an anime romance film, this might fit the bill, although I'd recommend Ghibli's Whisper of the Heart or Makoto Shinkai's Your Name (which is similarly bittersweet) first.

As most reviewers have said, this is a pretty typical love story. This time between a firefighter (Minato) and a surfer (Hinako), and unsurprisingly, the elements of fire and water are both employed heavily and animated beautifully--I suppose to suggest a sort of yin/yang or contrasting elements.

The first chunk of the film consists of the couple spending time together, especially surfing. I suppose the chemistry is there, and this is conveyed quite well by the voice actors as they bond over karaoke songs (most of the montaged events feature this song, with them butchering the lyrics and laughing), but Minato dies too soon for a very strong connection from the viewer.

The second half of the film involves Hinako coping with the grief of losing a loved one. She's depressed and an emotional wreck, unsurprisingly, and she fixates on what happened in the past, leading to her discovery of being able to summon Minato's spirit when she sings the song they bonded over near a body of water. He will appear inside of the water and can manipulate the water into many shapes, which he uses throughout the series to either comfort Hinako or to put out fires.

This was probably my least favorite aspect of the film because I HATED that blasted song, and having to hear her sing it over and over just about made me ill. They took the silly song from before, which, even if I didn't like the song to begin with, worked well to help establish their relationship, but then they turn it into this sappy tool to dredge up her departed lover. I'm positive this song has played at least once in my nightmares.

No one else can see him, and one can be forgiven if they assume it's all in Hinako's head at first, but as the film continues, his manipulation of water clearly affects reality, and we have a fantasy scenario on our hands. This is an element that seems to either make some people more interested or to totally alienate them. I suppose I'm somewhere in the middle. It does make for some very nice animation, and based on the script, I don't feel the source material could have pulled this story off well without the fantasy element.

But I suppose after watching so many Japanese movies about fairly ordinary situations with a small magical twist to spice things up, I've become quite jaded. With Weathering With You we have a girl who can manipulate the weather. The Wolf Children--of course they can shapeshift into wolves. Whisker Away--a girl turns into a cat. Yawn. While these movies are sometimes amazing, or at least decent... it seems like little more than a cheap trick to repackage the same old ideas or to add some visual flair. It's not exactly creative, and they can easily fall back on the fantasy elements to distract the audience from what might actually be a rather weak script. And that's exactly what I felt they were doing here.

There's not much else going on. A love triangle forms amongst Hinako, another firefighter (milquetoast nice guy) who was friends with Minato, and Minato's sister (a rude tsundere). The result of this is very predictable from the start. The end sequence is also telegraphed from near the beginning.

In a nutshell, it's a predictable romance that ends prematurely, prolonged by a fantasy element where the main is guided along the way on the road to recovery. It's all been done before--the only thing at all fresh is solid, stylish direction of the material from Yuasa, and some nice animation.
  • Don't let the cute cover art fool you, this movie will rip your heart out and stomp it into the ground. Top-notch animation with a well put together story about dealing with grief, but man....get those tissues ready!
  • jjblue20206712 January 2020
    I don't mind repeated romantic anime movies, but in this movie, she met her boyfriend when he saved her, out of nowhere decided to go surfing and boom that's it, within the first 30 minutes, they go out, sing, surfing, kissing, and still within the first 30 minutes he's dead, and in my head i was like: are they really expect me to care about this guy?! of course not, way too fast, prolonged cliche fantasies, his buddy is just there , Your Name is good example of how to make a good one but didn't work here.
  • Same japanese romantic movie, nothing really special. Skip it.
  • Animation was pretty solid, story was pretty good. Predictable but good.

I was calling out predictions from the start and they all came true. Still, knowing what would happen didn't stop this hardened rock of a man from shedding a buttload of tears, and you should've seen my girlfriend

She sounded like she was laughing, I looked over and she was hysterically crying in some parts, so I told her "stop laughing, this is a sad part" which made her laugh cry and then it was fun for me, as I only watched it because of Valentine's Day.

Still, in the end, it wasn't bad and I know she loved it.

If you like shoujo anime and bittersweet feels, this is probably one you'll enjoy.