• We are faced with an incredibly creative anthology of 18 different stories ranging from an immense variety of animation designs, cinematography, music-sound use, and transhumanism to cyber punk, from robotics to artificial intelligence, from the life of others to anti-militarism: Love, Death & Robots.

It was obvious from the trailer that we would be watching interesting things, but I didn't expect that much. The taste of each episode remained in my palate. Death, Love & Robots show the end point of the animation. Cyberpunk, love, death, technology, apocalyptic, a variety of topics such as space is told. So each viewer can find something in the series. There were criticisms of sexism and violence, but I didn't encounter such a problem. Episode lengths range from six to seventeen minutes. Although it is a little short, you can understand the quality when you watch. 9/10
  • sarah_cze15 March 2019
    What a unique production! Netflix definitely got something (very) right here. In fact, I wish there would be more quality content like this.

Every single episode is intriguing and spectacular; it can be very violent at times, funny and sad. The art is just breathtaking. Writing is on point.

So far I liked "Sonnie's Edge", "The Witness" and "Beyond the Aquila Rift, "Good Hunting" and "Zima Blue" the best. More, please, Netflix!
  • Sublimely animated (NSFW) shorts... each with it's own unique and beautiful (& mature) story. Think game cinematic-Animatrix saga with hyper-realistic futurism/multi-dimensional concepts. Absolutely GORGEOUS. I enjoyed each immensely, and cannot wait to see more, hopefully becoming a mainstream format.
  • Honestly it just appeared on Netflix so I thought why not give it a try? and I am so happy I did. Every episode is so beautifully animated and the stories keep you interested from beginning to end! The most impressive and immersive thing Netflix has done in a little while, you aren't wasting you're time. believe me.
  • This show is a masterpiece. Every episode feels like a complete movie. I was surprised that I was able to care for the characters after such a short time. Most shows take 2 or 3 hours to be able to establish that kind of a rapport. The pacing is great, the topics explored are interesting and some of the plot twists are amazing. One of the episodes managed to flip my understanding of all the events completely on its head just in the last few seconds when the truth was finally revealed.
  • DennisTarr16 March 2019
    I seriously hope Netflix produces more shows of this quality. Great animation quality together with themes and stories for adults are pretty much non existent. Until now. This is really worth getting a subscription for. At lest for me it was.
  • Watched the complete series in one go!!! Could not stop watching!
  • BlockLike15 March 2019
    I am in awe of how truly great this is.

On every level it impresses...

Visuals, audio, script, acting, dialogue, atmosphere... It's got them all in spades!

Just sit back and let the episodes draw you into their worlds.

It is a work of art and should be celebrated.
  • hirazvan15 March 2019
    Once you start watching, you can't stop until it's over
  • Never saw the trailer. Just saw it while browsing netflix, didn't knew what to expect. But the first episode just blew my mind. So awesome. It was like watching watching a video game. The episodes are small but so good. No nonsense. Superb !!!
  • Bless you, Netflix, for giving us this.

Bless you.
  • Spectacular audio and animation violent,sad,funny good stories.Netflix did a good job,did something that most people do not expept to see.I want more content like that please Netflix.
  • Love, Death & Robots is an anthology of animated science-fiction shorts. A few stories use live actors but heavy use of animation in the whole. Most of the animation is CG-- some might be hand-drawn or might be really well stylized CG, I'm not sure.

The animation itself is stunning. This is next-gen. There are a wide variety of styles on display, but it's all great, as good as anything I've ever seen, and that's including the old masters. I mess about with 3D modelling, and the CG stuff is really breathtaking in the detail and in the bridge between style and realism. These are people who know their art.

The stories themselves are very, very similar to those that you'd find in the old days in Heavy Metal-- the movie or the magazine. That means gratuitous sex, gratuitous violence; it means a certain aesthetic, focused on science-fiction-cool; it means cleverness, occasional humor, and plenty of weirdness. I wouldn't have expected good stories from a movie like this, yet LDR mostly delivers on that front: its narratives are well paced and enjoyable.

Maybe its main weakness-- assuming gratuitous sex and violence doesn't turn you off- is its character writing. The characters may be modelled and animated nearly perfectly, but as characters they're still pretty two-dimensional. But I'm not sure how much anyone could expect from an anthology series on this front, and poor characterization is pretty much the rule in this genre.

If you're a fan of science fiction or animation, and the sex and violence doesn't turn you off-- really, it's just there for its own sake, although some of us think that's fine-- then I think LDR will blow you away.
  • Every episode was mini and surprising. We don't know what is the episode is about in the beginning of each episode and there is no connection between previous or next episode. Good one😍
  • mahmus13 May 2019
    The thing that all the episodes have in common is this: they are all very well animated. Other than that, the quality of these short episodes ranges from very good, to ok, to really bad. Here' a quick summary of each episode with ratings:

1- Sonnie's Edge (7/10): Interesting world building, cool twist, great use of gore, avarege dialoge.

2- Three Robots (3/10): Good animation, really bad jokes.

3- The witness (7/10): great visual style, great concept and ending.

4- Suits (4/7): amounts to 17 minutes of farmers fighting an army of monsters and gets boring really fast.

5- Sucker of Souls (2/10): good animation, but some of the worst written dialogo I've ever heard. Yet another army of monsters.

6- When the Yogurt Took Over (6/10): Refreshingly short and to the point in its satire.

7-Beyond the Aquila Rift (8/10): Great concept and ending, good looking photorealistic animation.

8- Good Hunting (8/10): Great animation. It takes its time with the story.

9- The Dump (6/10): Simple story, good animation. It can be a little too gross at times.

10- Shape Shifters (6/10): Interestig world building and concept.

11- Helping Hand (5/10): It's just Gravity, but wih more gore.

12- Fish Night (4/10): Surprisingly unengaging. Things happen, a character acts crazy for no reason and then it just sort of stops.

13- Lucky 13 (7/10): Good, engaging story. Yet another alien army.

14- Zima Blue (10/10): By far the best of them all. Good story, great art style and an actual amotional payoff.

15- Blindspot (3/10): non-stop action that gets very boring very quickly. Annoying characters. Cop-out ending.

16- Ice Age (6/10): The live-action is a welcome change of pace. The concept is intereating, if not every original (Simpsons did it). The ending feels way to abrubt.

17- Alternate Histories (5/10): Its concept get old pretty fast and the jokes obly really made chuckle a little.

16- The Secret War (5/10): At first I thought this one was going to be special. It look atmospheric, it took its time to create suspense and develope the story. Then it was just another giant army of monsters with a ridiculously abrubts ending.

Over all, a mixed bag. Good animation, poor writing, Zime Blue was awesome, too many monster armies.
  • Each episode, while varying on story and writing quality, is animated stunningly and has a pretty excellent Original Score. I wouldn't recommend skipping any episode as each one has something different to offer and is all down to personal preference with the exception of a few. Any fan of animation should enjoy this with some discretion for the more gruesome scenes. Arbitrary episode ranking found below:

---BAD---

18. Alternate Histories

4. Three Robots

3. The Witness

2. Beyond the Aquila Rift

1. Good Hunting
  • Love, Death and Robots isn't for everyone. It's gratuitously violent, salacious to a fault, and not politically correct. And that's exactly what Hollywood needs to do more of. No, it doesn't need to make films that are violent, over-sexed or obscene (it's already doing that). It needs to stop making things 'for everybody.' LD&R is obviously going to offend or turn off some, but that's because it's not made for them. But for those who have been waiting for a true animated version of Heavy Metal Magazine, then this is for you. It's got cyberpunk, odd fiction, silly stories and all the sci-fi you could possibly want. What's more, each story is really well made (unlike some attempts to bring Heavy Metal to film). If you like short films, CG, sci-fi or Adult Swim, you're not going to want to miss Love, Death & Robots.
  • Anyone who grew up in the 90's should remember liquid Television. It gave us the original Aeon Flux and the first real HD animation. This is very reminiscent. The animation is great and even when it is not, it still fits the style. It should also be said that MTV Liquid Television was rated TV-14, this is very much deserving of its TV-MA rating.
  • farshidkarimi9 June 2019
    There are 2 or 3 episodes which I would say are good. However, the rest is predictable, too unrealistic.

There is too much wanton sex and violence in some scenes. Just flashy, trying to seek attention.
  • This show is absolutely bonkers with violence, explicit scenes, and episodes. From minds of Tim Miller and David Fincher made a show with great animation of a mix with Twilight Zone and Black Mirror story telling. Buckle up for a wild ride!
  • As with most things in life, to each their own. Nonetheless I felt a bit compelled to provide a slightly different point of view from the stream of 10's I'm seeing on IMDb so far.

I see a lot of "now this is Art!" comments. To be clear, film (even when shown on television) has been recognized as Art for generations now. Granted, this particular series is generally well executed and presents visuals that are often stunning and unique - but let's not trip over ourselves trying to hold up Love, Death & Robots as some breakthrough for the medium. And as gorgeous as it is, it's not without some really obvious flaws. The uncanny valley is still very deep with this series.

In terms of substance, this was nothing short of painful to watch. Completely predictable plot, utterly shallow dialogue, heavy handed cliches and extremely clumsy in its execution. The "twists" could be seen a mile away, and then any subsequent counter-twist felt tacked on as "gotchas" even though they were often transparent themselves. And the jokes suffered the exact same fate. Everything about the script felt like a first draft attempt.

There was also a strangely tone-deaf nature to much of the subject matter as well. The series sets up strong themes of empowerment, diversity and responsibility, only to explore those themes through extremely childish, macho narrative devices and stereotypes. It's an adolescent boy's attempt at writing about deeper issues without any greater understanding of them. Highly (and needlessly) sexualized (women only), brutally violent (because violence = power of course), and unimaginatively crass and crude (because curse words are "brutal, and "real"). I've seen some reviews actually decrying the themes as "SJW" - but interestingly, I think if you look even a tiny bit below the surface, it's more likely the opposite.

Yes, I've never seen anything quite like Love, Death & Robots before, but I still find it empty all the same. Plenty to see, nothing to take away.
  • Some episodes are good, some are ok, and some are very bad. Don't understand the hype this show is getting. It's ok but definitely not a masterpiece as some reviews say. The animations are extremely good but the stories not so. But its watchable you can give it a try
  • Watching this anthology of shorts, some of which are very short indeed, feels a lot like reading an old Heavy Metal magazine. As a teenager, I used to devour these collections of science fiction, fantasy and horror stories that usually featured sex and nudity and frequently violence and gore, sometimes both on the same page.

Netflix essentially created an animated version of these pulpy, yet often beautifully illustrated comic books. L, D & R is just as hit-and-miss, just as violent and sexually titillating (for a straight male audience, that is), and, every once in a while, just as artistically beautiful. I just wish it had something to say, or at least a few compelling stories to tell. It all felt a bit shallow and very derivative underneath the flashy exterior. I'm afraid sci-fi fans looking for truly original ideas will be rather disappointed.
  • michaelhowell1215 March 2019
    Wowwww
    Just Watch It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • I've watched a bunch of episodes, and I'm just not seeing what these high reviews are seeing. The stories range from boring to mildly interesting, and a lot are just plain confusing. They feel like B-roll Pixar shorts.

Then there's the cursing and nudity. It would be interesting to see a show that doesn't go out of its way to avoid curses and full nudity, but this show takes it a step further, by just shoving the f-word and breasts everywhere it possibly can. It's almost like the animators were trying to distract from the lack of writing.