User Reviews (257)

• nogodnomasters4 September 2021
    Beth (Rebecca Hall) is a high school teacher whose husband Owen (Evan Jonigkeit) recently shot himself. She has nightmares and there are signs of a haunting. She confides in friends who tell her to let things alone. Owen was a designer and builder. He was into Caedroia, the Celtic belief of making mazes to confuse evil demons. Beth discovers pictures of women on Owen's phone, all who look like Beth.

This is a mystery with limit clues that is explained in the end. I liked the idea, but they best part of the film is all the action Owen did. I think it might have worked better if the film took place with his suicide at the end.

Guide: F-word. No sex or nudity.
    . . . "barge." If you read the closing credits of THE NIGHT HOUSE carefully, you'll notice that a "barge captain" is listed. No such character is seen in this movie, because he's an invisible demon named "Nothing" who goes around strangling aging brunettes and then leaving their corpses in the cellars of cabins built illegally in New York state parks. This is pretty much the entire plot of THE NIGHT HOUSE. (In the other 49 American states, NIGHT's "barge" would be called a rowboat, as in "Row-row-row your boat gently down your dream . . . ")
  • THE NIGHT HOUSE (2021) *** Rebecca Hall, Sarah Goldberg, Vondie Curtis-Hall, Evan Jonigkeit, Stacy Martin. Compelling supernatural drama about a recently widowed woman (Hall in a remarkable performance) who begins to question her sanity when she begins to make discoveries of her late husband's past as well as their home which seems to house a sinister presence. Well directed by David Bruckner with just the amount of dread and genuine jolts thanks also to a shrewd screenplay by Ben Collins and Luke Piotrowsk. The pin-pricking score by Ben Lovett & handsomely shot cinematography by Elisha Christian makes all the difference in this modern day ghost story.
  • With a dreadful, disquieting atmosphere pervading its frames and a dark, disturbing mystery simmering beneath the surface, The Night House makes for a gripping, haunting & gradually escalating psychological horror with a plot that only gets more uneasy & uncomfortable as it progresses, and is powerfully anchored by Rebecca Hall's emotionally engrossing showcase.

Directed by David Bruckner (The Ritual), the story explores loss, grief, depression, loneliness, death & longing through vehicles of horror and is able to keep us invested in the proceedings throughout its runtime with surprising ease. Bruckner fills the space with an unnerving chill & sense of dread and unravels the mystery one step at a time but the ending isn't as satisfying as expected.

The isolated setting, silent camerawork, steady pace & smart editing help ratchet the tension when required while the poignant score keeps reminding us of the crushing weight of the void that's opened up in our protagonist's life in the wake of her husband's demise. And rendering her loss & depression with unfailing precision is Rebecca Hall in what's undoubtedly amongst her career-best performances.

Overall, The Night House is an intelligently crafted, skilfully told, effectively shot & brilliantly acted genre offering that quietly immerses the viewers into its unsettling premise and has a firm grip on our emotions before we even know it. Exhibiting first-rate work on all fronts and further bolstered by Hall's committed act, this atmospheric horror does falter in the last act but everything before it is intense & riveting. Don't miss it.
  • First there is Hall who, until now, has been punching below her weight class and finally gets to show she can carry a film. A tight script, nicely directed. And some genuinely scary scenes.
    I'm blown by this horror story, I regret reading anything bad because it's way wrong! Rebecca Hall's character deals with the aftermath of her husband's suicide and is haunted with mysteries throughout. David Bruckner directed a crafty well done version of what tremendous loss is like. I absolutely loved the presence of unknown entity whenever it happens especially the epilogue is so good! I don't mean to spoil anything but I chose yes just in case. It's a shame The Night House isn't making more money cause it definitely deserves it.
  • Grief, or any other stages off mental imbalance , then take a big breath and consider if youre strong enough at all to devour the frights of loss that unfold in this psychologicalsy drama called the night house. Its a dark , sad and strong story about being victimized due to suicide.

The acting done by rebecca hall is pretty significant, and reading through my register of actresses that ive n in my mind , i cant find anyone that can replace her on the deeds of acting the wway she does. Do also consider that ms hall aint one of my favs, and that should be an insignia of quality if you ask me...

its a story about grief after a suicide of close realations, a husband, that had no signs whatsoever to do so., the plot shows us the estranged wife searching for clue and symptoms on why. Its told in a vast amount of flashbacks, and utterly vivid nightmares that becomes so realistic at moments, and so scary to encounter, that my life as a fly on the wall got the eyes wide shut, prefering to watcth the corner of the screen jusst to avoid the scary moments that are to unfold.

The dream sequences and the knots and tackles to make the strings of thread into a solid rope of a story are just ammazing, the score helps a lot, and the play of light , shadow andd reflection is superb. Its like a near death experience in your dreams, and deep long wandering in paralell universes and shadowlands that may exciste or not. A parapsychologist couldve made a 6 hour documentary just analysing the para-lelles that occuurs in this thrillerdrama.

Aamazing it is, and many thoughts struck my ever so cronical depressive state of mind whiile viewing like the subject of afterlife, ghosts, parallel universe and mirror worlds. Therefore i recommend this flick pointing back to the start of this review, it might be heavy for some. The grumpy old man though might take a float in the boat without any oars whatsoever.
  • "The Night House" is a mystery Mystery - Horror movie in which we watch a widow trying to continue her life after the loss of his husband. Soon she starts finding out some disturbing secrets about her husband that will change her world for ever.

I liked this movie because it had a very interesting plot and it combined very well mystery with horror. The interpretation of Rebecca Hall who played as Beth was simply outstanding and she made the difference. The direction which was made by David Bruckner was also very good and he presented very well his main character, her feelings and what she has been through. Finally, I have to say that "The Night House" is a nice, interesting horror movie and I strongly recommend everyone to watch it because I am sure that you will be amazed both by the interpretation of Rebecca Hall and by the interesting and mysterious plot.
  • U dont come to watch a horror or a thriller movie for the lead actor's performance.

The movie basically starts off like What lies Beneath but with a lousy climax, it is also lifted from various other psychological movies where they take solid amount of time, show the lead actress at peril throughout while nothing happens to her and then they end with a so called happy ending.

There is a scene where the lead actress discovers lots of dead bodies but rather than calling 911 or trying to flee, the lead actress calls her best friend n later head for the shower.
  • Tweetienator9 October 2021
    Rebecca Hall is a fine actress and many times she gets roles in movies with a special twist and atmosphere: The Prestige, The Awakening, The Gift, Dorian Gray, Transcendence to name a few. The Night House lines in well in her oeuvre: a mix of mystery, thriller and a slight piece of occult horror. Remarkable, besides Rebecca's performance, are the sometimes beautiful shots that compose the scenes. Last words: the told story is suspenseful enough to keep one's interest, the production fine, the cast rock solid - recommended if you enjoy movies like The Awakening, The Hole in the Ground, The Attic, Mama, Vivarium and so on, just don't expect any action or gore.
  • After an extremely poorly timed lock-down in my country days before 'The Night House' - one of my most anticipated films of the year - was due to come out, I finally got the chance to see it yesterday. Getting overly excited for an upcoming film is rarely a good omen. I find that films like 'Midsommar', where the reality actually lives up to the hype, are rare. 'The Night House' was still an excellent film, but it wasn't quite the masterpiece I had been hoping for.

Rebecca Hall is very good in this film. She has a very complex and demanding role and she nails almost every scene. She is basically asked to carry the entire film on her own too. None of the other roles are overly significant and are more just there to guide her journey along.

There are some decent scares in this film including one that got my heart racing. The film isn't a conventional horror in any sense. It isn't looking to make you jump every chance it gets. But when it does have one of those scenes it does it very well.

It plays into the story somewhat, but there are some misleading dream sequences that I thought were a little cheap and a film this classy didn't need them. It's a small bugbear though. I had a very good time with 'The Night House' and even if it wasn't quite as good as I'd hoped I'd still highly recommend it.
    I saw "The Night House", starring Rebecca Hall-Godzilla vs. Kong, Iron Man 3; Sarah Goldberg-Barry_tv, The Dark Knight Rises; Evan Jonigkeit-Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, X_Men:Days of Future Past and Vondie Curtis_Hall-Daredevil_tv, Broken Arrow.

This is a good and a bad one. It's good because of the actors-Rebecca, in particular-but bad because of the story. It's just a tad on the confusing side. Rebecca & Evan are a married couple that, from all appearances, seem to be a happy couple of 14 years that live in a secluded lake front property that Evan built. One night, Evan takes their row boat out on the lake and commits suicide. As Rebecca tries to find out what went wrong, she discovers that Evan had secrets. Rebecca also starts hearing noises and seeing a mysterious shadowy figure-Evan, maybe?-haunting their house. Sometimes, she will see a figure and then wake up-was it all a dream? She also discovers blue prints to a reverse house-their house, but everything is backwards-and even finds the house across the lake and it contains a strange looking voodoo doll. It doesn't help when she confides in her best friend Sarah, who thinks she is just distraught over everything or her neighbor Vondie, who might know more than he is letting on to. Then, there are some pictures of other women that Rebecca finds on Evan's phone-I guess he didn't realize that women will look at men's phones-and they all the girls look suspiciously like her. Like I said, it just gets a little confusing.

It's rated "R" for violence, disturbing images, language and sexual content-no nudity-and has a running time of 1 hour & 48 minutes.

It's not one that I would buy on DVD but if you really want to see it, I guess it would be alright, as a rental.
  • I found out about this film through its movie poster mini-billboard that was on display in the movie house I frequent . I took a photo of it many months before the film was released . The aesthetics of the art work immediately drew me to anticipate this art-house horror. I was not disappointing !

Rebecca Hall is tremendous in David Bruckner's tense, twisty cerebral , thought-provoking psychological horror thriller. In The Night House, her impassioned dedication to her craft is on full display. The script affords Rebecca a rich and resonant role, and Hall takes full advantage of this opportunity, delivering what very well may be one of the most memorable female performances in recent horror history. Yes she is that good. I will be seeking out every role she has done.

The film follows Beth (Hall), a teacher who was recently widowed after her husband Owen (Evan Jonigkeit) died by suicide. Although sudden solitude can bring about nightmares and uneasiness in its own right, Beth, who suffered with her own crippling depression when her husband was still alive, is convinced that her terrifying dreams and the strange sounds that she hears during her waking hours are not simply due to imagination. As she sifts through her deceased loved one's possessions and discovers clues about his possible secret life, she realizes that there is something more than grief waiting for her in the optical illusions that lie around every corner of the home.

The new horror movie The Night House is an unsettling blend of ghost story and psychological terror - the kind of film that leaves audiences wondering what the ending really means. While some jumps are featured here and there ,and are usually effective in their own right ; most of The Night House is designed to unsettle and disturb. The cinematography lends it self to the brooding and malevolent atmosphere splendidly .

At the helm by future (Hellraiser) reboot director David Bruckner, is definitely much more in line with a horror movie taking a more cerebral approach, building its scares up slowly, and going for creeping out the viewer over startling them. I think Bruckner is a promising up and comer.

The filmmaker puts a formidable visual game of mirrors into practice, which fits beautifully with the story's unsettling conclusion. Enhanced by Rebecca Hall's gripping central performance, The Night House offers atmospheric horror that engages intellectually as well as emotionally. First class horror cinema . 8.5 /10.
  • yusufpiskin8 October 2021
    David Bruckner, who showed his style with The Ritual, once again made an appearance with a good movie.

The atmosphere we miss, the kind of scenario we miss.

The musical scores accompanying the film wonderfully and Rebecca Hall, who can always do justice to these roles.

Definitely needs to be watched on a good sound system.

Again, I love Sundance Film Festival.
  • "The Night House" follows a widowed teacher (Rebecca Hall) whose husband has recently committed suicide. Alone in the home he built for them, she soon becomes convinced that his ghost is haunting her, and perhaps something else.

This effort from David Bruckner is stylish and fairly compelling, even where it treads waters that have been played out many times in the genre (grieving spouse, possibly haunted by their deceased loved one--not exactly a new concept). Other elements here recall 2004's "Gothika" and 2001's "What Lies Beneath," both films to which "The Night House" owes much credit. Despite the familiar set-up here, "The Night House" is very effective for the most part, replete with quiet scares and a few jolt-out-of-your-seat moments.

The first hour or so of the film is very compelling, and a large part of why likely has more to do with Rebecca Hall's performance than it does with the writing. The film moves forward at an even-keel pace, but unfortunately the payoff does not quite fully work--the very nature of what is happening is rendered in such a way that it at times feels obfuscated, toeing the line between an existentialist meditation and a demonic possession film--and somehow remaining committed to both.

All in all, this is an entertaining crossbreed of drama and horror, but by the end, the waters feel too familiar and the payoff not quite worth it. Hall's performance holds it together, and the film is highly watchable nonetheless. A worthy genre effort, but not a groundbreaking one (and perhaps it need not be). 7/10.
  • The Night House: A Haunted House Tale which strays into Folk Horror territory at times. Beth (Rebecca Hall) has lost her husband Owen, he suddenly committed suicide, no warning signs. Now strange events occur in the lakefront house that Owen built in Upstate New York. Noises, knocking, music centre turning itself on, nightmares. She also learns that Owen was keeping secrets from her. There is a hidden unfinished house in the woods, the plans for their house contain strange notations and occult references. Beth's attempts to solve these mysteries sets her on a path to a confrontation with dark forces. The woods by day and night present a brooding presence in this film, they almost seem to be capable of pushing people into the lake; so it's no surprise when Beth has a vision/dream of running women leaping into the water. Only a coupe of jump shocks as most of the horror here is psychological but the attacks by an invisible entity adds to the fear/tension, as do the grim discoveries made by Beth. Directed by David Bruckner from a screenplay by Ben Collins and Luke Piotrowski. 8/10.
  • A current haunted house flick in release starring Rebecca Hall. Hall is in mourning having lost her husband due to his self-inflicted gun involved suicide. Coming from seemingly nowhere, Hall, a teacher, now has to piece her life back together (staying civil w/her fellow co-workers, deciding to whether or not sell the house her hubby built from scratch) as things start to happen in the home (the stereo turns on & noises which sound like footsteps plague her at night & she even receives a phone call from her husband, etc.). As she can do nothing but investigate the circumstances we find out from her neighbor, played by Vondie Curtis-Hall (no relation!), her hubby was stepping out on her, strangely w/women who resembled her,& that he was constructing a sister house across the lake from their own which when she finally goes over to see for herself, a grisly discovery is made. As the last third of the film plays out, where usually a film starts giving us the whys & hows, the film starts serving answers which don't add up; is it a ghost, an inverted world similar to our own, possession? None of the conclusions are satisfying & we're left w/a pain about the temples where we rubbed our fingers across during the movie's runtime. Also starring Samantha Buck, who was on 7 episodes of Law & Order: Criminal Intent while Kathryn Erbe was on maternity leave, playing an aggrieved parent.
  • masonsaul2 September 2021
    It can be too vague at times but The Night House is still a great horror film that's genuinely scary, atmospheric and shocking. Rebecca Hall gives an incredible lead performance and both Sarah Goldberg and Vondie Curtis Hall are great. David Bruckner's direction is fantastic it's, extremely well filmed with plenty of inventive set pieces and unsettling imagery. It's well paced and the music by Ben Lovett is good.
  • LIKES:

Great Acting: The movie focuses a lot on a character centric plot and challenging the psyche of our main character Beth. For such a heavy focus on characters, that means a good acting set of skills required and I think the cast did and exquisite job of bringing their characters to life. Vondie Curtis-Hall does well in his role as the concerned neighbor, nothing too over the top or a masterpiece, but certainly a good chemistry for the time he is on screen. Goldberg as the best friend has her elements as well, and I liked the more serious conversations of that friend trying to snap the main character out of her potential psychosis to get her back on track. It's really Rebecca Hall though who gets the most shout outs given she is practically a one woman show. Hall has to do a lot of acting and reacting with herself, and I'm impressed in the levels of human emotion she pulls out in her time on screen. Drunk stupors and rage over the guilt of her loss, has that balance between forlorn and animalistic carnage that felt very realistic. Her ability to get lost in the fog of depression and piecing the clues together to try and overcome the said grief that plagues her. And of course the pure terror she gets in the potential of being haunted was a smashing success for this reviewer. Hall's acting is the keystone to much of the mood of the movie and I was very happy to have a strong lead play the central role

Creepy Atmosphere: What worked for the horror element of this movie is just how realistic the haunting feels compared to so many of the other films in the genre. Beth's journey is not in some desolate town, a dank cave, or abandoned warehouse that she stupidly tried to conquer. No, the film is in her home, and that element of safety is quickly compromised as we watch the paranormal activity subtly climb in and challenge her comfort in this very dark time. The slight noise changes, the hint of something in the dark, and those familiar signs are brilliantly carved out to push your creep factor up, perhaps to the point of wanting to sleep with a light on when you get home. The realistic approach certainly keeps that element going and you just wonder what the next blanket will be ripped away during the course of the film.

The Presentation: What also helps add to that element of horror is the presentation this movie leans heavily on. If you read the premise, you'll see that The Night House is all about challenging the psyche of our leading lady, as every time the horror elements happen she wakes up and wonders if it is a dream. Psychological thrillers can do this element brilliantly under the right direction and I think Bruckner succeeds in keeping you guessing if it's real or not. Rather than doing it to the level to mess with your mind and distract you from the other story elements, they keep the challenge under control allowing you to still dive into the other elements of the story and the mystery beneath it. Speaking of which....

The Mystery/Layering Elements: The Night House has an interesting mystery that is ever evolving, always baiting you further to uncover the truth between the opening events of the movie. Every act of the movie gives you a little more insight into the mystery, but wrapping it up in the psych component mentioned above. As the truth starts to come to light, the feeling of the movie continues to change as you determine what is really plaguing Beth's life and is it real. The film gets a nod to the curvy story it's telling, with leads helping guide one way and then changing to be a twist that feels very much like a decent drama book. I liked the tale's teases that were never too diverting or out of whack to screw up the pacing and focus of the tale, so well done there.

Meaning/Deeper level: That artistic feeling is indeed still baked into the movie, but not to the point of consuming the entire film and getting rid of the elements that make horrors entertaining. Beth's journey may indeed one part happening in the real world, but it's also a nice dive into how people face the darker fathoms of life. The doubt, the searching, focusing on what is next while battling the past and what is missing is a deeper dive into human pieces that again works into the subconsciousness of the story without getting in the way. So well done.

DISLIKES:

Somewhat Predictable: Though there are "twists" thrown in, the tale is rather a straightforward shot that you can flesh out rather quickly. Horror elements struggle in the unique aspect given the volume and time the genre has existed, so don't expect the levels of mind blown that Hereditary did.

The Pace is Slow and A Bit Boring: I think the category speaks for itself, but this is a movie that does not necessarily move in a style that will keep most people awake at night. Fans of the horror movie where there is a victim every 10 minutes are not going to enjoy this film, nor will the audience looking for jump scares or a monster appearing frequently like something from the Syfy channel. The Night House has a pacing that again feels much like a book, working to build the moment and character up, while setting the scenes up for a truly challenging experience. And though it accomplishes this well, I think a few more elements of the other horror movies could have been included to keep the pace up and give us some excitement instead of just slogging through like we had. Not the worst pace by far, but just something to tweak in the future.

Uncomfortable, but Not Truly Scary: The movie is not the scariest piece to come to the Big Screen, and did not leave my mind reeling in fright/shock at what came. Fans of this film are again going to be subjected to more story than scares and I can't say this movie's ending really had me on the edge of my seat. When the truth finally reveals itself, you'll appreciate the characters more than the scary element, which was a bit underwhelming given all the potential it had. Though the atmosphere is creepy and kept in theme with the movie, I do have to say I would have liked a little more pizazz in the final revelation and the divisive ending it may bring to the audience.

The VERDICT: The Night House succeeds in many levels as being an alternative approach to the horror movie genre. A fantastic central lead is the true backbone of the movie and Hall's performance and nearly one woman act gets a high round of applause from this reviewer. The tale itself is stacked in more details and layered with elements that together form an engaging mystery, a bit of a thriller/drama, with some horror undertones, something I very much enjoyed in my time with this film. Take in the creepy atmosphere alongside the presentation of real vs. Not real and you again get a combination that only further elevates the movie. However, there are still some edges to have shaved, primarily the fact the movie's scare factor is not that impressive and the pacing feels a bit slower given the potential they tried to build up. As the truth is revealed, it takes a bit more of the psychological side that fits with the tale, but does not leave your mind blown or scarred in the process. Sure , you might sleep a little better at night, but that wow factor was missing for me in the long run, especially with the potentially ambiguous ending. Still the film gets some nods for quality and points for not taking too long to tell this deeper tale. My scores are:

Horror/Thriller: 7.5 Movie Overall: 6.0.
  • vengeance2020 August 2021
    I've never heard of this film, nor have I seen trailers for it, but I went to see this due to it being a horror. Obviously.

The film follows a woman who recently having lost her husband is bereaved & trying to get over her loss. However, supernatural occurrences & said clues start to unravel a dark & surprising revelation to her husbands said suicide.

I found the film to be good, but slow in pacing & story telling which was at most... annoying! At 1 hour & 41 minutes, it's way too long for such a simple revelation which could've been said sooner & of course got to the damn point!! Moreover, the ending still leaves us with more questions than answers, like for example, what was this spirit that attached itself to this woman's husband & why did it want her dead!? Like why & what!? The film drags on & on only giving little hints here & there & that's the thanks we get!?

The jump/scares, visuals & sinister undertones were good, but the pacing & runtime, never mind the slow story telling & dumbarse ending with more questions than answers is what let's the film down!

Overall, it's alright, but honestly, it's not that great...!

5/10.
  • elliotjeory8 October 2021
    Trailer made it look good, it was just too slow and wasn't interesting enough to draw you in to the story. Also not a fan of Rebecca Hall. All in all not worth the time.
    The Night House got my attention from the movie poster which is incredible it is like the artist had a eye to get attention and this one did it.

The Night House is one of those movies that you will never forget once you watch it.

The story is full of twist and turns that by blinking you will missed out. The movie will also make You jump which it did for me as it was quite the experience in the theater.

Rebecca Hall's performance in the movie is strong that shows how underrated she is as a actress she delivers a strong performance in the movie that you get really interested as the story goes on.

The music works out very good as well as you can fwel the vibes of the movie. The setting is very scary and that you never know what comes next.

Night House has become one of my favorite movies and one I am glad I saw in theaters.

You will not be disappointed. Overall I give The Night House an 8 out of 10.
  • I will mostly remember The Night House for Rebecca Hall's excellent performance as a widow trying to unfurl her dead husband's secrets. Not only does she successfully drive the film to its twisted supernatural finale, but she also makes us root for her. The details are revealed in a slow-burn fashion with just the right amount of jump-scares. The Night House is also a film that looks visually rich and boasts a solid soundscape. The final act borders on the frenetic and is a bit rushed compared to the rest of the film, but it still feels like a major storm has rushed past.

It wouldn't be wrong to remark that David Bruckner pays more attention to evoking tension than fixing it. Multiple questions pop up towards the end, and they're mostly answered in a hurried but convincing way. As the film revolves around an inexplicable suicide, it tries to bait the viewer with various tangents at different junctures cleverly - some clichés are neatly subverted. Bruckner creates an atmosphere that's equal parts creepy and mysterious, using close-up shots of Hall to scintillating effect. The way he characterizes and captures Death is impressive. The Night House is one of the more engaging atmospheric horror flicks of the year, no doubt!
  • It all fizzled out with the denouement!

I thought I had found a really good horror mystery film until the last ten minutes when it all went to hell in a handbasket...literally...

Such a shame as it had superb atmosphere, acting was top notch and a real sense of dread pervaded every scene and for once a horror film that was quite scary but then it all went plop right down the Thomas Ritter!

Shame as it might have gotten a 7 or above rating!!!
  • ... Frightening, Unnerving, Nightmares! The widow of a shock suicide is haunted by dreams and reality from the past, and the present. A towering performance by Rebecca Hall makes all the difference in a story that will leave you scratching your head and your chin but for all the right reasons.