User Reviews (119)

• To be honest this is my first review ever, i did this review because this movie has really touched my soul, I've never in my life saw a movie that really made my tears drop but today 28/march/2020 i marked my favourite movie ever, the movie that made me cry, the movie that made me realise that i should be thankful for everything i got from friends and family, the movie that will change my perspective of life.

This movie has many meanings that can be translated into one meaning that is to have a strong faith in god and always be sure that miracles can and will happen just keep believing in god and have a strong faith.

What else can i say cant and will not describe my feelings now, i just dont have the right words...

Thanks for reading this review...

A believer 😶
  • The tear-jerking true story of musician Jeremy Camp and his journey of love, loss, musical success and faith. This story centers around a the complexities of a relationship. A beautiful, and timely, reminder that in this crazy world we will all struggle but we can hang onto faith and love.

Parents should know that there are intense scenes and we do not think that the movie is suitable for kids under ten, or kids who can't talk through serious topics with you afterward.

We have a small group discussion guide for this posted on our website. Down The Hobbit Hole Blog dot com. We also have a full parent review up and Bible study questions for it.

We were really impressed with this movie and left better for having watched it!
  • savenok-839759 April 2020
    Watched it, liked it. Then looked into the actual story. Seems like every scene was a lie. Nothing happened as it did in Jeremy's book. I understand it's a movie but it's based on a true story. At least make some of the details the way that they actually happened. Why make Jean-Luc part of the love triangle when it was someone else? Jeremy didn't meet Melissa in college but they met after he graduated. Also, they didn't even go to the same college. Cmon.
  • I love the Erwin Brothers. They're immensely talented filmmakers. But their films are part of a new emergent Christianity where it's become a rock-star religion - the most popular speakers, the most popular bands, the most popular churches, the most popular everything. And the Lord Jesus Christ is always given a supporting role.

Why does the sincerity of 'I Still Believe' feel like 'let's do another successful Christian music movie and get all the Christians to come out' roundtable strategy? Where is the true Christ in these films? Sin? Repentance?

If you carefully watch their previous film 'I Can Only Imagine', the Erwin Brothers spend more time on Amy Grant than Jesus Christ. In fact, Christ is completely MIA in that film. It's like he's a cool Cross symbol hanging on the neck of Madonna.

American Christianity has become a corporation.

It's filled with Christian publicists trying to get the Erwin Brothers on Fox Morning News. They try to find some 'angle' that will make people go and see their movie. Again, it's not about Jesus at all. It's about galvanizing millions of these Christian music fans to watch the film and bring in millions of dollars in revenue. Like with "I Can Only Imagine" - a film that to this day I have no clue where the true Christ is.

Put another way, would an elderly 80-year old woman who was a missionary to PNG her whole life be advertised at Harvest Crusade, the National Religious Broadcaster's (NRB) conference, Joel Osteen's church, etc?

Of course not. It's always the most popular speakers, the most popular bands, the most popular authors, etc. It's worse. Really it is.

American Christianity has become a popularity contest.

Can you see Jesus or His disciples doing this? Do you see them selling tickets to hear Jesus speak? Telling their listeners to buy their books, movies, CD's?

"Come hear Jesus speak! We also have Jeremy Camp, Mercy Me, Amy Grant singing! And popular speakers Greg Laurie and Joel Osteen also talking before Jesus! Get your tickets now!"

It's all about being hip and cool. This 'emergent' new American Christianity that started in 1982.

In the meantime, this army of luke-warm Believers continue to buy t-shirts, pay for concerts, attend conferences - and help perpetuate this incredibly dangerous mindset that Christ has a price tag. A monetary value. A box office gross.

American Christianity has become an embarrassment.

It's an embarrassment to all the persecuted Christians in the world.

The emergent Christian filmmakers would never make a movie about persecuted Christians. Why? Because no one would go. It's all about making money and being popular with them. They will deny this, of course.

American Christianity - and there's no other way to put this - has become a false religion.

This is why poll after poll shows there's no difference between American Christians and the secular heathen. Divorce rates, depression rates, suicidal thoughts, etc - all the same.

A false religion? That's too strong, right? Only if you believe a luke-warm Christian is not an oxymoron. You will not see a luke-warm Christian in heaven. Just read Matthew 7:21-23: "Many will say to Me in that day, 'Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?' And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from Me..."

You can tell a luke-warm Christian a mile away because of these 5 words: "That. Doesn't. Apply. To. Me."

So this Scripture doesn't apply to them: "You adulterers! Don't you realize that friendship with the world makes you an enemy of God? I say it again: If you want to be a friend of the world, you make yourself an enemy of God." James 4:4

It's all about pursuing holiness. Not pursuing fame, riches, popularity. Instead of supporting this American Christian 'industry' - jump on a plane and help bring Bibles to Afghanistan. Oh wait - that would be outside your comfort zone as an American Christian. My pastor at my popular church said I don't have to preach the Gospel. I can work at my 9-5 job and be fine with that! I'll save that good thought though. In the meantime, any more music concerts I can go to?
  • Typically I'm not a fan of faith based films. I find them to be a little over the top and cheesy. But this movie honestly blew me away! KJ APA and Britt Robertson were amazing and had great chemistry! I believed from the moment they met on screen that they had fallen for each other, which made the story so much more engaging. There were many moments when I couldn't hold back my tears, but at the same time I felt uplifted. This movie was more about how to overcome extremely difficult circumstances that many of us will face in our lifetime, than about pushing an evangelical message; but don't get me wrong, the message of hope was clear, and it's a message that I encourage everyone to hear! This is truly one of my favorite movies of the year. The Erwin brothers are terrific directors and storytellers, and I look forward to seeing more of their work in the years to come!
  • I have been wanting to see this movie for months, and I finally got to chance to rent it on VOD. I never knew the story of Jeremy Camp and very happy I do now! Such an amazing movie and most definitely worth watching 10/10
  • jpachar8216 March 2020
    I have been a HUGE HUGE fan of Jeremy Camp for a long time and his music healed me during times of self-doubt. For me, it's always been a heart thing. The lyrics to the song rings deep into the heart.... I still believe in Your faithfulness. I still believe in Your truth. I still believe in Your holy word Even when I don't see, I still believe. Hebrews 11:1 is a verse from the Bible that comes to mind when I was watching this movie. "Now faith brings our hopes into reality and becomes the foundation needed to acquire the things we long for. It is all the evidence required to prove what is still unseen." Faith and belief are the same. We believe by faith. We have faith to believe. I Still Believe rings so true that it penetrates the heart and the soul. Jeremy's life is so rich. The heartache that he went through led to his victory in the Lord. The cast was just phenomenal. Up and coming rising star from the TV series Riverdale, K.J. Apa, delivered the performance of a lifetime. Alongside the incredible talent of Brit Robertson and the ever so exquisitely talented Gary Sinise and Shania Twain. I recommend everyone to go see this movie, they will renew their faith in the Lord.
  • A beautiful, innocent love story that puts a true story behind the concept of redemptive suffering. Trust and strength personified - lovely movie.

To the post referring to our Lord as a "spaghetti monster": Please don't do that. I understand that everyone's faith journey, or lack thereof, is there own, but please respect what is of utmost importance to those of us who are practicing Christians. Thanks.
    There are many tear jerker movies nowadays where the boy or girl is sick and so on. This movie is more about how you enter this hard journey using your faith and how two christian boy and girl shared their love with God and shared their faith with the whole world
  • I think I may have had a stronger reaction to this movie than other people. I cried through fully half of this movie. The characters were in the same age group as my son and his wife. And the lead actors character reminded me so much of my son. He and my daughter in law "waited" until they got married to have a consummated relationship.

I kept picturing the two of them in a situation like this. That probably sounds bizarre but their faith is so strong I could see this film being what I imagined my babies would be like. Strong in faith and questioning God at the same time. I loved this movie.
    I literally created an account for the sole purpose of writing a review for this movie. As someone who has suffered unexpected loss, this movie hit all the tough spots and then some. You don't see enough movies about how God doesn't always answer the prayer even though you know he could. The pain, the questions, the whole movie just was super honest. I thought about canceling my reservation more than once but after literally WEEPING in the theater, I regret nothing. Do yourself a favor and go see this movie. You won't regret it. It's honest, cute, and genuinely a feel good movie that leaves you inspired to keep the hope and "still believe"
  • wilkehe27 March 2020
    Eh
    I love sappy sad love movies (a fault in our stars, titanic, 6 feet apart, etc) but I didn't really like this one. I am not religious so that could be part of it but it was predictable and they don't build enough of a connection, just didn't give me the feels I wanted it to.
  • Coming into this movie with hopes of inspiration, music, and an obvious love story left me realizing there was so much more. As a person who believes somewhat in Christianity and the other 50 percent on multiple questions and other religions, it really took me places. The acting was solid. The production could have been better as there were too many gaps in the timeline. However, it brought me to tears on multiple accounts. It's decently predictable. I'm glad I didn't know much about the real life Jeremy Camp before seeing the movie. I was a borderline 7/8.
    Im a sucker for romantic films and wanted to see it because i saw AJ.kapa was playing the Christian musician because im a fan of riverdale, it is a beautiful but tratic story and Jeremy camp is also a good musician but obviously as an atheist i did cringe everytime god is mentioned ecspically when Melissa was diagnosed with cancer and she said it was gods way of sending her to a different path 😑 but i respect the film as a love story and it is very easy to get in too would recommend but be prepared to hear Gods name about 100 times
  • It's been 2 months since I last watched a movie at a cinema due to the Covid19 outbreak. It's still making its rounds but when I read some of the reviews to this Christian faith movie, I knew I had to go watch this with my life partner. The movie had me in tears and will definitely make anyone cry regardless of faith. This was a love story that will live on. Britt's acting was brilliant. But I guess I was hoping for a God moment. In the end, I had more questions than answers which means the movie will not fit in well with new believers. Overall, a very meaningful love story.
  • zadravechrvoje18 April 2020
    Can someone explain to me what this is, cause it surely isn't a movie, or a relal life story?! The main character is so non realistic that it's almost funny. He comes to a new state with a small bag, but every day he has new clothes on. Within 2-3days he has friends, meets a music star, plays with a music star on a concert...really soon gets a record deal. I've lived in five cities and I gotta tell you...when you're new to a town...things don't go that easily or quckly. Anyway, i turned it off after 40min and just got back to my life...undamaged.
  • I Still Believe is a sincere and true love story, held down by clichéd dialogue and plot development. The subtle messages and radiant leads stick their landing without feeling preachy. Adults and kids will admire this faith-based tale, perhaps in a matinee and a box of tissues.

This story brings the true-life story of Christian music star Jeremy Camp (KJ Apa) and his remarkable journey with his wife Melissa (Britt Robertson). Their faith in God is tested when Melissa is diagnosed with ovarian cancer. Still, Jeremy believes there is always hope and a faith worth sharing through his music and memories.

The two leads share great chemistry allowing for a believable relationship. KJ Apa, as Jeremy Camp, steps into the shoes of the Christian music singer, through his original music and devotion towards his wife Melissa. Speaking of which, Britt Robertson, as Melissa, is the best performance nailing the emotional gravitas of the real-life counterpart's plight. She fares much better in emotional scenes, and while KJ has great screen presence, he could improve his emotional chops. Both characters absolutely deliver a heart-warming dynamic that makes the ending all the more tragic, but also reminiscing. Nathan Dean, as Jean-Luc, adds a love-triangle dynamic that feels more at home in a CW show than a dramatic real-life story. Still, his character is charismatic and relatable in his struggles. Gary Sinise, as Tom, is Jeremy's father, adding more heart to Jeremy's unwavering love and choices.

Directors Andrew and Jon Erwin return after directing the Christian film I Can Only Imagine. The Erwins have a good grasp on not being preachy and instead, focus on the human relationships that bind. However, this film's first half panders with one instance of egregious product placement, unbecoming of its more mature second half. It feels tonally inconsistent in spite of KJ and Britt's natural chemistry. There's a scene involving a broken jar of pickles where the film becomes thoughtfully complacent about its conflicts. This is where the film began to click, and it ends up being moving and lyrically heartwarming.

The message of this film is to always keep the faith and stay close to those you love. They make us for who we are, and unfortunately, tragic things can happen. It's best that we stay close and not waste any day with them.

I give this film 3.5 out of 5 stars and recommend it for ages 8 to 18 due to strong thematic material. Reviewed by Arjun N., KIDS FIRST! Film Critic, Age 18
  • stephaniengakuru5 April 2020
    This might honestly be one of the worse movies I have ever watched. If you like or believe in god then it may be your forte but definitely not mine. Is the worst knock off version of the fault in our stars I have ever seen. The guy literally knows this girl for all of 3 days and has the audacity to say he loves her. Not only is it a bible bashing movie but it has the worst storyline, poorly structured and down right boring. She had cancer in her stomach, then her liver and it the spread to her ovaries(later discredited 🙄 even through the doctor told her she needed the surgery the next day because it was so severe). They got married after she was cleared of cancer even though in real life she would still be requested to have chemotherapy and radiation to be absolutely sure it wouldn't come back. Now they come back from their honeymoon and she is told she's going to die. I feel like I have wasted my whole Sunday night watching the worst movie of 2020.
  • To be fair, I'm not religious and am a former Christian. But I see a lot of movies and don't shy away from seeing movies because they are religious, if I think there's a chance it might be good or informative anyway. I saw "I can only imagine" a few years ago. And although I wasn't the biggest fan, I at least respected the movie like I would a well-made movie about a religious artist of some other religion. The story of the father and son reconciling was interesting to see. The story of their band having success after a long period of struggling was appealing as well. I also liked that the more well known artist wanted the writer to get the credit for his own song. So I hoped that "I still believe" might be similarly good. It's made by the same directing team.

Unfortunately, a lot of "I still beleive" is just bad. A lot of the dialogue is cheesy or inaccurate. The love story is annoying. It had a dumb love triangle that made me annoyed at all 3 members of the triangle. Paticularly the girl who we're supposed to be most supportive of when she later gets cancer.

The movie has instances of people treating known medical things like remission as miracles. They never thank the doctors and in one case go against the doctors suggestion. They never present any of the bad things as negative signs against god or God's kindness like they do for all of the positive moments. I like optimism. But at a certain point there needs to be some sense falsifiability in order for the belief to be reasonable.

There is a terrible song where the singer seeks to be "used by God." I found that more than a little creepy. The pacing was slow. The acting and cinematography wasn't bad. And might be mainly why I gave it 2 stars. The father character has a likable monologue near the end of the movie. But the movie really didn't cover any of the struggle of getting into the Christian music scene.

I'd recommend avoiding this one. Especially if you're thinking of paying to see it.
  • I read all the reviews before seeing the movie without spoilers. I thought it was much better than I expected definitely much better than a "Lifetime Movie" that some reviewers compared it to. Some reviews gave it a low rating probably because the movie is Christian based. I felt it was not overbearing with Christianity but mostly telling the story about Jermy Camp. I never heard of him before the film. I would rate the movie a 7.5/10
  • ramyan-1594528 March 2020
    I still believe that someone can create a movie that is beyond crap - they could have just made a music video with sad lyrics. not worth a watch even if you have burned through your watch list...
  • This film is engaging and powerful!!! Its worth the money to watch in theaters. The story of I Still Believe is redemptive and heart warming. I found myself caught asking the question, "Do I still believe?" This is an important question. One every Christian should ask. But a question that everyone should ask maybe its a little different. "Do I believe?" In a God who can save and God who changes people's lives. God is a God of healing and transformation. This verse comes to mind. "Jesus answered them, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick." Luke 5:31 God can heal me and you from the brokenness of sin. I Still Believe!!!
  • I highly recommended to watch this biography movie guys! Make your feet touch again on genuine world.
  • I love b-grade, lovey-dovey, sappy, hallmark type movies so I thought I'd give this one a go, especially since it's gotten such a high rating. Longest two hours of my life! Sooooo boring and slow.
  • This is a movie I adored it's very powerful and a fantastic movie it shows you just when your about to lose faith God shows up and works things together for good so much fun to watch so beautiful I highly recommend it