The film was supposed to be an excellent one...the direction was good throughout the film...but poor direction in the end (NO...A 2ND INSTALLMENT FOR A BIOPIC IS REALLY NOT NEEDED) makes it a mediocre film...Nawazuddin's performance is brilliant, as always.
The 'modern' adaptation of Mani Shankar Mukherjee's acclaimed novel 'Chowringhee'.
Direction: Usual Srijit Mukherji style, but could have been better.
Acting: A mega star cast movie. Everyone performed so well. Notable mention - Swastika Mukherjee.
Music: All of them are very much related to the movie plot and nice composition. Best track - "Kichchu Chaini Aami", the female version.
***Minor Spoiler Part***
The final conversation scene between Abir Chatterjee and Parambrata Chatterjee in the elevator was little confusing. Audience already found out what happened. Did they talk about anything else? We don't know, because only their expressions were shown on the screen with sad background score.
Letting Dev play the role of a dumb is an excellent decision by Srijit Mukherji. Otherwise he could have ruined the entire movie with his power of delivering the dialogues. Anyway, excellent performance by the whole cast.
One of the best Bengali movies in recent times. This is must watch for everyone, specially for those who heard the news of Hetal Parekh murder case (March 5, 1990) for which Dhananjoy Chatterjee was hanged at Alipore Jail on August 14, 2004.
The film shows how the judicial system of our country worked (or still works) for rich people and the poor got suffered (or still suffers).
One of the best Indian movies in recent times. Excellent direction by Sriram Raghavan and outstanding performance by Ayushmann Khurrana made this film worth watching. I'd love to watch this film again and again.
Nicely Directed Film with Some Cool Cinematography
Nicely directed film with some cool cinematography. And Yalitza Aparicio's performance is simply WOW!!! Deserves an acting nomination at the Oscars. Probably this year's Oscar winner for Best Foreign Film.
I don't know what is the 'Truth', but from a neutral point of view this is what I have to say about the film:
1. One of the best 'Directed' Indian movie in recent time and probably the best 'Directed' Biopic made in India.
2. According to IMDb, this is the first project of director Vijay Ratnakar Gutte. I would definitely love to watch your next project.
3. Hats off to the Casting Directors of the film - Raj Kamal and Vicky Sidana and Makeup Artists - Mangesh Desai and Shrikant Desai. All the characters look so real in the film.
4. This is how a Biopic or a film based on a true story should be made. Each and every small details, historical data, years are mandatory in this type of films and director VRG handled it perfectly.
5. There is no song throughout the film. Only one in the end while showing credits and behind the scene footage. An Indian movie without some boring songs - this is what I love to see and I hope people who care for genuine good movies would agree with me.
6. Anupam Kher's performance as Dr. Manmohan Singh is too good and deserves some recognition at the National Film Award this year. Probably the winner.
7. Excellent background score.
Anupam Kher's performance - 10/10
Vijay Ratnakar Gutte's direction - 9/10
The film overall - 8/10